Our new Utrip planner lets you experience our beautiful city in the way that’s most meaningful to you. Using your budget and interests, the planner will give you a day-by-day itinerary, in moments.
Here's a simple step-by-step how to in turning your San Francisco dreams into a reality:
(Find our Utrip page under the discover tab -> plan your trip.)
1. ENTER YOUR DATES
2. SELECT A TRAVELER PROFILE
3. ADJUST THE LEVERS SO THEY ARE JUST RIGHT FOR YOU. (P.S. Watch how the recommended activities change based on your inputs!)
4. And VOILA, a personalized day-by-day itinerary for your trip!
*Don’t worry, the trip planner factors in seasonality and logistics. You won’t be sent to a museum that’s closed on Tuesdays. It will also be optimized for geography. No crisscrossing through the city all day!
There are so many ways you can continue to personalize your trip...
GET TO KNOW YOUR TRIP:
-View venue descriptions, information and tips by clicking on activities:
- Look at your trip by the week:
EDIT YOUR TRIP
- Easily lock in, move around or delete activities
-The trip planner can auto-fill a space when you delete something, or you can click “Add Activity” and peruse hundreds of items by tags or categories.
NOT SURE WHAT TO SEE? LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS. Check out our San Francisco Featured Trips:
Be Excited! Share your trip with friends and family:
Anyone in San Francisco from June through August knows that summer doesn't always feel like real summer here. It's quite the opposite: foggy, windy, and invariably a bit cooler. Although, we locals know that after three months of a pseudo-summer we experience every year, the more expected summer symptoms reveal themselves shortly thereafter. Alas, our annual Indian Summer! September through November one can expect consistently warmer temperatures and much, much more lounge-like afternoons and evenings. So, in celebration of warmer days ahead, we've compiled a list of to-do's (just in case you've missed them these past few months):
1. Hike this Coastal Trail from Baker Beach to the Golden Gate Bridge
2. Attend a Nightlife at the Academy of Sciences
3. Do A Station-to-Station Bay Area Bike Share Ride
4. Dance at Salsa in the Square in Union Square
5. Eat at Off the Grid in the Presidio or Fort Mason (Photo via KQED)
6. Catch a Giant's Game before the season ends!
7. Treat yourself to a day at Archimedes Banya Spa (Photo by Kristin Viola)
Celebrating the little moments with Personality Hotels!
Sometimes people need a reminder to celebrate the little moments along with the big. In an effort to promote the simple joys in life, we're launching a #JumpforJoy campaign on Instagram! Snap a photo of yourself in mid-jump and post to Instagram with "#JumpforJoy @PersonalityHotels" in the caption for a chance to win a FREE NIGHT STAY at any one of our San Francisco hotels.
The Marketing Babes
Any wine lover knows that the infamous ZAP (Zinfandel Advocates and Producers) Festival is not one to be missed, especially by the hosts of "Cork Dorks," a Krush 92.5 radio show created exclusively for winos. During their time in San Francisco, the Cork Dorks stayed with us at Hotel Union Square, taking time to share a glass with our CEO, Yvonne Lembi-Detert. Check out the video, below, also featuring clips of our amazing penthouse suite! Cheers.
The Cork Dorks | Personality Hotels from Coast Cinema on Vimeo.
Any San Francisco local feels the impact of the huge tech boom originating just south of and now within our city. The landscape, style, and local economy is changing and evolving into something completely different than before. Even the conversation is filled with new content and buzz words, with lingo like "cloud storage," "wearables," and "did you see that drone flying over the office the other day?" taking over the daily chatter. As techy as this city may be becoming, as resistant as some long term natives may be, our philosophy stands: embrace the change and celebrate the perks! So, in honor of the tech boom, we've come up with a list of our favorite (and some more fashionable) tech gadgets & apps present in our current culture or near to launching.
Ever notice those functional, yet not-so-fashionable, bracelet trackers everyone's wearing? It may help with nutrition, exercise, and sleep tracking, but it surely doesn't meet the style standards of today. Alas, a more fashionable version by Tory Burch. Available for pre-order now.
A gadget that power-saves, times appliances and electronic devices for automatic turn-off, and wakes everything up when you wake up (music, coffee maker, water heater, the works)! Talk about environmentally friendly. Pre-order available on their Kickstarter page.
3. Shyp, stress-free packaging and shipping
Prepping and sending packages can be so time consuming and quite honestly, boring. Shyp is an app that allows you to forget all about the unwanted stress of sending a package and does the dirty work for you. Just snap a picture of what you want to send, where you want to send it, and Shyp will pick it up for you, wrap it, and send it off smoothly. Only in San Francisco, launching soon in NYC.
4. Mighty, the fully proofed portable speaker
While the Rebel Speaker they launched last year was only waterproof, this updated version is sand/dustproof and floatable! It also connects to your phone for easy calling to friends or talking to Siri. Mighty is still trying to get funded via Indiegogo, support here.
5. The USB cassette mix tape, Milktape
Ever since tapes and CDs were replaced with MP3's, gone are the days of giving and receiving hard copy mixtapes. And let's face it, Spotify and Dropbox versions just aren't as sentimental. Milktape looks like a tape, comes white as a blank canvas (for DIY personalizing), and contains a USB adapter inside the tape for easy importing. Bound to be the next big thing in contemporary courting, watch their absolutely adorable launch video here.
6. Frameri, eyewear with interchangeable lenses
With more hours in the day spent looking at computer screens, it's no wonder everyone wears glasses. Otherwise, it's just a fashion statement that makes everyone look a little smarter, and indeed our generation is ;) Frameri currently has three styles with multiple colors to choose from. By buying three frames with one pair of lenses (also available with prescription and tinted), people can easily pop them in and out to match their unique day-to-day style. We highly recommend playing with their Virtual Try-On.
7. Asana, the ultimate project management tool
Coincidentally made by and for a San Francisco startup, this product offers seamless collaboration and optimal organization for new teams and their projects. Member profiles with lists of allocated tasks that is interactive by all people in the group make for quick managing and finishing of the little things.
8. Mobile Key, the keyless way to get through your door
Mobile Key makes for super easy access into your house, apartment, or hotel room. Convenient, minimal, green! Can you imagine a world without keys? We use them at Hotel Diva and Hotel Union Square.
In the true city of the free, girls have access to everything the guys do and more. From old to young, career women to housewives, brides-to-be to all the single ladies, San Francisco offers something for every woman. Catching up, glamming up, indulgent days, and exciting nights are all in store for a girls night out on the town. So, as part of our new CITY GIRL GETAWAY package, we've written a special itinerary guide just for the ladies - including some of our favorite restaurants, bars, clubs, and for optimal recovery, a list of the best brunch spots in town. Download the guide below and enjoy an evening in celebration of sisterhood in the city.
the Marketing Babes
BECAUSE WE LOVE LUNCH!
Especially when it’s close by – featuring our Top 5 favorite new-ish lunch spots in and around Union Square.
What We Ordered: The light starter, Prawn & Asparagus Salad (topped with a fava bean pesto accoutrement to-die-for), followed by the Maverick, a rich and stoutey kobe butter burger. Perfect for two. Per Chef’s Request: Emmanuel Eng recommends the Farro "Risotto" paired with the Lost Abbey Red Barn Saison (a San Marcos on-draft beer), or the ever-popular Maverick burger paired with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon – particularly the Terra Valentine Napa 2012. He also loves the Fried Green Tomatoes paired with their 49er Gold Rush cocktail, made with bonded bourbon, lemon, honey syrup, and an SF favorite, Fernet Branca. Perk: Beautiful in-house gastropub, delicious bourbon cocktails, three course prix-fixe business lunch. Fun & snazzy.
Chef’s Request: A Northern Thai specialty, the Khao Soi Gai includes soft and crispy egg noodles with chicken in a super aromatic (and not-so-spicy) curry broth, topped with pickled mustard greens and spicy chili oil on the side (also available vegetarian w/ veggie broth & Hodo soy tofu). Drink their Pak Pow, aka the Thai Beach Kite: IPA, Appleton Reserve Rum, Allspice Dram, Palm Sugar, Lime, and Nutmeg. Perk: Rumor has it this may be the best new Thai restaurant in the city...
What We Ordered: The traditional, and might I add mouth-watering, Spaetzle had us craving for more, while the gourmet Chicken Salad sealed the deal. Chef’s Orders: "My favorite item for lunch here at Schroeder’s would have to be our bratwurst served with braised sauerkraut, whole grain mustard, bread & butter pickles on an acme soft roll. And nothing goes down better with a brat than a beer! Thanks to our ciceron, Rich Higgins, we have some delicious options in that category. The Maisel Weisse: lightly sweet, bready/malt, highly carbonated, or the Gaffel Kolsch: grassy, slightly bitter, crisp." Perk: Newly vamped menu and interior decor make for a vintage flair to your dining experience. Enjoy deliciously authentic German cuisine with a modern twist.
We Ordered: Gourmet Chowder to start the meal made for a rich beginning, while the oh-my-gawd-good Oyster Po Boy served as a unique end. Next Time: One can never go wrong with an oyster sampler for a taste test of all the goods, especially when the raw bar is displayed so eloquently in the center of the room. Pair it with a glass of their proprietary white vino for the ultimate finish. Perk: Some of the best views of the waterfront with the freshest fish selection in town, right on SF's historical Embarcadero. Totally worth the wait.
Why: Because who can go wrong with fish tacos and a pitcher of sangria on a summer afternoon? If You Dare: Spice up your work day with a delectably dangerous Tongue Taco. Perk: Right off Market with tons of outdoor seating on a grand patio for some of the best people watching in town. Also, great vegetarian options from tacos to salads to plates full of colorful roasted veggies for our herbivore friends.
In celebration of Gay Pride this year, we asked our close friend and highly acclaimed designer, Jonathan Rachman, what his favorite go-to spots are around town. Here’s his itinerary for a fabulously Gay Day:
1. Favorite Book Store: City Lights! Go for its history, significance to the queer/beat community, and great array of reading options. Dubbed a "Literary Landmark." (261 Columbus Ave. San Francisco, CA 94133 (415) 362-8193)
2. I love a drag show for Sunday brunch at the Starlight Room. Who doesn’t like a boozy brunch with bloody marys and mimosas? “A classic Sunday brunch with attitude!” (450 Powell St, San Francisco, CA 94102 (415) 395-8595)
3. Visit City Hall and read about Harvey Milk. Knowledge is power, know your history! (1 Dr Carlton B Goodlett Pl, San Francisco, CA 94102 (415) 701-2311)
4. Right in the Castro, Harvey’s restaurant and bar! It may not be the hippest bar anymore, but it pays homage to Harvey! Great place for people watching. (500 Castro Street, San Francisco, 94114 (415) 431-HARV)
5. Good Vibrations: not your sleazy sex shop. You name it, they have it; “Creating a buzz since 1977!” (multiple locations* 603 Valencia Street at 17th San Francisco, CA 94110 (415) 503-9522)
6. Get lost in Haight Ashbury, where tourists and locals collide. And while you’re there, go check out Piedmont Boutique for your ultimate Pride costume wear! (1452 Haight St, San Francisco, CA 94117 (415) 864-8075)
7. Cafe Flore, also known as “Cafe Hairdo.” Best outdoor cafe with great drinks. Where old school meets new school and generational queers mix! (2298 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94114 (415) 621-8579)
8. Hotel DIVA: with a name like diva, puhlease - need I say anything more?? (Hint: If fully booked, go to Hotel Union Square, I heard it is newly and fabulously re-designed by this local gay guy!)
You're sporting a gorgeous pregnancy glow and a beautiful baby bump, so why not give yourself the pampering you deserve? After all, we know that carving out "me" time will be harder to do after the little one arrives. Whether you're a local or just visiting, San Francisco offers plenty of relaxing things to do. Here's a list of 5 that we think will leave you feeling pampered!
1. Have a picnic at the Palace of Fine Arts, Yerba Buena Gardens or Washington Square Park. (On Sunday's check out Off the Grid: Picnic at the Presidio - food truck heaven).
2. Rent a rowboat at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park (make sure to bring someone with upper arm strength).
3. Enjoy afternoon tea at The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus.
4. Get your make-up done. We love Benefit, Bobby Brown (Kimberly at Neiman Marcus is awesome) and Mac's new Powell Street flagship store.
5. Book the Pregnant & Pampered SF Hotel Package at Personality Hotels. We'll keep you comfortable and happy with a Ghirardelli sundae, spa treatment coupon, sparkling cider, a body pillow, Tums, and much more!
"If it wasn’t for your mother, you would not be the personality you are!" - Yvonne Detert, CEO.
Your mom gave you everything. She gave you life, love, and personality! Today our eyes are on our "mother" - Yvonne. Personality Hotels is lucky to have such a passionate leader and someone who treats all the staff as her own. Even if she didn't tell you, you would know she's a mother. Having that motherly quality is a huge reason for her professional success.
Outside of work, she has two successes - her daughters, Emily and Elizabeth. In honor of Mother's Day, her gorgeous girls share the inspiration they find in their special relationship. Sounds like this Mom can cook!
Happy Mother's Day! Make sure to show your mom love and thank her for the personality she gave you!